• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nicotine / smoking mega-thread *mega merged*

Contemporarium

Bluelighter
One cigarette a day?

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right board, but I can't think of any other board that I could ask this to. I tried using the search engine but nothing came up.

I smoke a (Very thin) roll your own cigarette (Bali shag, and the papers that come with it) a day. I find it very relaxing and pleasing. While I DO sometimes smoke more, it's very rarely. I keep it to one a day.

I tried a google search, but I just got yahoo answer links, and to be honest, yahoo answers is more misinformed than any other website I've ever seen. (Almost every E thread people say you'll die your first time no matter what and that you'll jump off a building thinking you can fly)

ANYWHO, I was just wondering how harmful this is to your health. I know there are links from the surgeon general saying how horrible even one is, and I'm sure it's not "good" for me, but I don't want propaganda. I want answers, and I trust the members of bluelight to supply them.

I went through a period when I was around 14 when I smoked every day and smoked around 4 or 5. When I couldn't take satisfying deep breaths anymore I gave it up (It was only like 2 months) and never thought about it again. But I remembered how good RYO was, and my friend gave me a free pouch out of nowhere. I decided one a day couldn't be too bad, but at the same time, you never know.

I'm starting to get repetitive so I'll just end my post already.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I haven't done any research, but compare smoking 1 cig a day to living somewhere polluted like Bangkok, Thailand or working at a tollbooth. I think medical smoking problems are typically spectrum illnesses so the fewer cigs/less pollution, the better.

yea you will probably never get cancer from it (as long as its not newports haha) but it won't have any health benefits to you. The only side effect will be shortness of breath, but thats still many years away at the rate your smoking

yea you will probably never get cancer from it (as long as its not newports haha) but it won't have any health benefits to you. The only side effect will be shortness of breath, but thats still many years away at the rate your smoking

What do you mean shortness of breath? As in I won't be able to breath as well? Because that thought scares me. I can still take those deep breaths that just make you say "ahh" and haven't really noticed a any difficulty in breathing YET, and it's been a month. How long do you think I could smoke before any of the bad things start happening?

I'm thinking I'll finish off this bag of Bali Shag (Like 1/2 the pouch is left) and then quit.

Idk, it just really helps relieve my anxiety and I love the act of it. Seeing the smoke flow out, etc. It's just calming. Plus, I find the ritual of rolling them very addicting. More so than the tobacco itself haha.

When you were 14 your body is still developing, puberty is happening, thats why it's not the best idea to be drinking/smoking, any drug for that matter.
That is all i can think that would have caused your shortness of breath, were you unfit? That wouldn't help either.
I think 1 cigarette a day as opposed to 1 pack a day is not going to be too bad for you, maybe when you get older it will catch up with you, ask your doctor though, he will probably know a bit more.

mmm...the study on this that I saw found that at no frequency of smoking (min. 1 a day) do risks of lung cancer and heart disease equal those of nonsmokers...of course, these risks get lower and lower as you smoke less.

1 a day may reduce your cardio performance a lil'.

I started smoking in late 2003 when I started doing Oxycontin. I been smoking between 0-3 mostly, but have had binges of 10-20 (very few days though). I see no bad effects. I even smoked an unhealthy amount of crack about 1/2 ounce powder a day (cooked) for 5 months. I can run fine, but maybe because I used to be a long distance runner. However, on a pulmonary volume test. At age 16 my lung capacity was 115-120% over my demographic group and April 2008, I was down to 90-95%, but I am 32 years old now.

Anyway, the sooner you stop the better. Don;t wait for the bad effects.

I only know that if the smoke is harmful for the nonsmokers then there is no point of staying healthy in later stage of your life becoz you smoke. The degree of sufferance may less but as far as I believe you will encounter some kind of illness.

BAH FINE. I just love having a cigarette when I come down off my hydrocodone. It makes it so I'm not bitter and everything's fine.

I lit one up today, and just said fuck it, put it out, and walked back inside. It's not worth it. I'm ganna see if I can go at least a month without anything. Wish me luck? :\

If you can keep it to one a day that's pretty fantastic, I won't say it'd be harmless but I've always believed the harms from smoking are overstated, which isn't saying there aren't very serious consequences to being a lifetime smoker.

How long have you been doing this? I guess being a compulsive person I have trouble believing others can maintain a one-smoke a day habit. Also it's important that if smoking isn't a crutch for you in times of stress, then it won't be something that slips into a bigger habit.

If you can keep it to one a day that's pretty fantastic, I won't say it'd be harmless but I've always believed the harms from smoking are overstated, which isn't saying there aren't very serious consequences to being a lifetime smoker.

How long have you been doing this? I guess being a compulsive person I have trouble believing others can maintain a one-smoke a day habit. Also it's important that if smoking isn't a crutch for you in times of stress, then it won't be something that slips into a bigger habit.

It's been about a month. I have really big OCD so yeah that's probably why I can keep it to one a day. The thing is is that when I come down off my hydrocodone I feel REALLY FUCKING AGITATED. Having a smoke afterwards just eliminates that and I don't even care if I'm not feeling it anymore.

Note that just about EVERY smoker begins with the intension of having only the occasional cigarette, perhaps mainly in social situations or only when intoxicated. Most fail at this.

ebola

Note that just about EVERY smoker begins with the intension of having only the occasional cigarette, perhaps mainly in social situations or only when intoxicated. Most fail at this.

ebola

I'm one of the lucky ones who've been able to keep it at a social level.

The secret is that I don't buy cigarettes. I'll buy packs of Cpt Blacks and smoke a couple if I'm out at a bar or on a patio in the summer but I only do it on a night when I'm having a drink, and never smoke more than 2 nights a week. I'll accept a cig if I'm out on the town and it's offered to me.

It's a lot easier not to smoke in the winter since I don't smoke inside and it's too cold outside. In the summer there are definite times when I know I'm smoking too much, I'll still stick to the 2 nights a week rule but if I'm out on a patio all night I may go through an entire pack of Captains (and get a wicked headache by the end of the night), doesn't happen often though.

If you smoke one a day, just stop now. If you don't, next thing you'll know, you'll be smoking two a day, then three, then four, and so on... It's not worth it bro.

I haven't done any research, but compare smoking 1 cig a day to living somewhere polluted like Bangkok, Thailand or working at a tollbooth. I think medical smoking problems are typically spectrum illnesses so the fewer cigs/less pollution, the better.

I can most certainly attest to that, having been used to living in relatively clean air places my whole life, and living in bkk for the last half year. The smell of fumes is omnipresent, and the buildings are greyed with soot.

Smoking a cigarette would be least of my worries here!

Thankyou all for your replies.

However, stop saying BEFORE YOU KNOW IT IT'LL BE A PACK A DAY. I'm a hypochondriac and so I just WOULDN'T let myself do that. However, I'm really trying to quit right now. Last night I rolled one up, cut it in half, but then I just said fuck it and threw it away. It's really fucking hard. My habit wasn't even that bad but I want one SO bad. I can't imagine how hard it is for a "real" smoker. :\

I think I might smoke one or two on the weekends, but then I'm not even sure about that. I don't like to socially smoke, either. I just like to sit outside, light up a cigarette, watch the world go by and relax. I love just tilting my head up and watch the smoke come out of my mouth. I have no clue why it has such a calming effect on me.

Is there ANYTHING that I can smoke that won't put me at such high risk? I won't smoke weed due to the fact that it gives me severe panic attacks. I just want to be able to smoke like one rollie a day of something.

I can't provide you with any information.
But I will say if you can only smoke one cigarette a day then I give you tons of respect.
I wish I could smoke only one day...
I'm only 15 and have been going through a pack a day for about a year...-.-

It's the smoke itself that is bad for you (organic hydrocarbon waste poducts), it doesn't really matter what it is you are smoking.

If you only need to smoke one cigarette a day, why smoke at all? Seems kind of point less and self destructive to me